Thursday, April 22, 2010

Writing Prompt

Enigma



There is no peace with you,

Nor any rest!

Your presence is a torture to the brain.

Your words are barbed arrows to the breast,

And one but greets To wish you sped again.

Frustrate you make desire

And action vain.

There is no peace with you .

No peace . . .

Nor any rest.

Yet in your absence

Longing springs anew,

And hopefulness besets the baffled brain.

"If only you were you and yet not you!"

If you such joy could give as you give pain!

Then what an unguent for the burning breast!

And for the harassed heart

What rapture true!

"If only you were you and yet not you!"

There is no peace with you

Nor ever any rest!



Write a reply to this poem from the point of view of the enigma Fauset described.


Note: An enigma is a variable that cannot be accounted for, you cannot control it, nor understand it.

By: Alexander Anderson

1 comment:

applejacks said...

You say there is no peace with me
Nor any rest
And that my presence is torture to your brain
Yet without me you would miss me
You want me to be me but not me
You can’t want me to be me and yet not be me
It does not work that way
I am what I am
You can take me for what I am
But you cannot want me to change just so you can want me all the time
You take me for what I am and nothing more

Tiara