Sunday, April 18, 2010

Reaction to "Oblivion"

I hope when I am dead that I shall lie

In some deserted grave-- I cannot tell you why,

But I should like to sleep in some neglected spot,

Unknown to everyone, by everyone forgot.



There lying I should taste with my dead breath

The utter lack of life, the fullest sense of death;

And I should nover hear the note of jealousy or hate,

The tribute paid by passers-- by to tombs of state.


To me would never penetrate the prayers and tears

That futility bring torture to dead and dying ears;

There I should lie annihilate and my dead heart would bless

Oblivion--the shroud and envelope of happiness.









Reaction:


I hope when I am dead,

That all shall cry over my bed.

That I myself, will not be as frail,

As the vessel, that shall soon fail.


Yet on the ground I lay,

Walking the thin veil through shadow and pain

I will not fall,

Nor shall I stumble.


For that is the will,

That only a dead man can grasp.

By: Alexander Anderson

No comments: